Wednesday, December 9, 2015

2016 Grammy Nominees: The Rap Genre


Best Rap Performance

Apparently

J. Cole
Track from: 2014 Forest Hills Drive
Label: Roc Nation/Columbia Records

HER PERSPECTIVE: 'Apparently' is my favorite J. Cole single. I love the mixture of his laid back and amped up flow. I love the beat and the quiet fact that J. Cole produced this joint. The fact that it's nominated for a Grammy is impressive. But as great  as I think his performance was on this song, it doesn't hold a candle to Kendrick Lamar's performance on Alright. Sorry, J. 


HIS PERSPECTIVE: 'Apparently' is just a'ight to me. As a matter of fact, once I consider the message and the fact that J really seems to lose himself in the perfomance as he grooves mindlessly to his own shit, I'm even more impressed. That being stated, I can't really give the nod to him in the category. Perhaps if he'd make a video for A Tale of Two Cities, I'd rethink my position. 

 

Back To Back

Drake
Label: Cash Money Records


HER PERSPECTIVE: Really, it's weighing heavy on your conscious? I wish Drake never succumbed to this stupid shit. But he did. Shocker! Sure, he kind of went in on Meek but the digs were surface level at best. I'm always impressed by Drake's word play and use of metaphors and for that I'll give him a lifetime of winks. But to give this thrown together lackluster diss record a Grammy nomination is...some str8 up bullshit. 

HIS PERSPECTIVE: I'm not sure that I'd call this candy-ass rap, "going in on Meek," but it did have some snappy one-liners. Was it really a diss record, or was it a cleverly timed form of spoken work placed over a tight beat? I'm sorry but I just can't with Wack 2 Wack, I mean Back to Back.   

 

Trap Queen

Fetty Wap
Track from: Fetty Wap
Label: 300 Entertainment/RGF Productions

HER PERSPECTIVE: Now here is a man that loves his hardworking woman even though, "he'll run in ya house, then fuck your hoe." Seriously tho, Fetty Wap emerged from the trap house and delivered a noteworthy single. Ole' boy is unique in his delivery and overall raspy sound. I understand the nomination. 


HIS PERSPECTIVE: Just what we needed, more bullshit glorifying the trappings of the fabled trap house. The video starts out with a bottle of Remy 1738 on a crack cooking stove, with gobs of 100's and 20's thrown atop a table. Wait, was that a pie that came out of the oven? Now that was clever. I like the style, and the execution but hate the message. And for that reason, I'm like hey what's up, hell-no

 

Alright

Kendrick Lamar
Track from: To Pimp A Butterfly
Label: Top Dawg Entertainment/Aftermath Records/Interscope Records

HER PERSPECTIVE: We're looking at a winner ladies and gents! Alright is successfully executed and it is one of the most socially & culturally relevant singles to date. Subject matter is on fleeeek and K. Lamar's delivery and lyrics are heartfelt and relateable. I genuinely feel Alright when I hear this joint and for that...it has my full support for best rap performance. 


HIS PERSPECTIVE: There are songs that perfectly relfect the times. Alright is the mother of these songs. Withought giving anything away, I'll just say from the start to the end, this one grabs you, holds you in place and rocks your ass to sleep. All before hitting you upside the head for that much needed wake up call. This is your winner folks. 


Truffle Butter

Nicki Minaj Featuring Drake & Lil Wayne
Track from: The Pinkprint
Label: Young Money/Cash Money

HER PERSPECTIVE: There's no denying how hot Truffle Butter was when it hit the airwaves last year. Dope ass track sampled from Maya Jane Coles "What They Say." I thought the subject matter, albeit crass as fuck, was unique and entertaining. The overall delivery and performance was executed well. But not well enough to win a Grammy in this category. 


HIS PERSPECTIVE: Content and overall message is 95% of the total to me and this falls flat on both ends in that respect. Truffle Butter? Really n!66@? Come on, I won't even honor this with another...

 

All Day

Kanye West Featuring Theophilus London, Allan Kingdom & Paul McCartney
Label: Def Jam Recordings

HER PERSPECTIVE: I fuchs with this joint! I love the track, Kanye's execution of his flow and overall sound. I can see why it made the list. It won't win tho.  

HIS PERSPECTIVE: And I don't. Too much use of the N word for me. Tired of giving random ass non-Black hipsters a pass due to Mr. West a few years back, now this. I hate this song. 


Best Rap/Sung Collaboration

One Man Can Change The World

Big Sean Featuring Kanye West & John Legend
Track from: Dark Sky Paradise
Label: Universal/Def Jam

HER PERSPECTIVE: Not sure why this is on the list for best rap/sung collaboration. I guess they needed some shit to fill the category. 

HIS PERSPECTIVE: Unless there's a remix that I just don't know about this shit snuck in somehow. Play No Games is much better and has Chris Brown & Ty Dolla $ign in it. I'm so confused.  


Glory

Common & John Legend
Label: Def Jam Recordings

HER PERSPECTIVE: This was a great collab. So much so that it won a damn Oscar. I wouldn'tbe surprised if it won a Grammy too. 

HIS PERSPECTIVE: Yeah and Morgan Freeman almost won an Oscar for playing Hap in Driving Ms. Daisy, so there's that. I guess I get it, but I hate this fucking song with the warmth of a thousand suns. Selma came out in the wake of Ferguson and a bunch of other racially charged events in this country. Add to it the fact that (sometimes conscious rapper) Common decided to jump on this joint with John Legend and I suppose you'd have a hit. Is it just me or are there others out there that see this as another passive negro anthem? Too much, too soon? My bad. 


Classic Man

Jidenna Featuring Roman GianArthur
Label: Epic Records

HER PERSPECTIVE: Sigh. These ninjas wandered off the streets and into the music scene with stealth execution. Who the f*&! are they?? They should not expect to win this year. I am, however, wildy curious to see what else they have to offer.  

HIS PERSPECTIVE: This is a huge problem for me. How in the hell can this song even be considered rap? Look, I'll give it up to dude, he's haberdashery defined, but he has the look of a raggedy ass 18th century werewolf. At any moment I'm expecting this brutha to drop down on all fours and transform at the mere hint of a full moon. Oh yeah, about the collab, maybe in a different category I'd vote for it, but you just can't lump all of us together and call it Rap/HipHop. 


These Walls

Kendrick Lamar Featuring Bilal, Anna Wise & Thundercat
Track from: To Pimp A Butterfly
Label: Top Dawg Entertainment/Aftermath Records/Interscope Records

HER PERSPECTIVE: This is one of the most brilliant and creative colabs on the music planet. Out of the box, unique and everything a collaboration should be. This has my vote. 


HIS PERSPECTIVE: Anyone clever enough to add Thundercat and Bilal together is probably going to get my vote. Add in Kendrick and the oohhh sooo sexy voiced Anna Wise (I was first hooked in Real) and it's a wrap,, The winner is...


Only

Nicki Minaj Featuring Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown
Track from: The Pinkprint
Label: Young Money/Cash Money

HER PERSPECTIVE: I'm a Nicki fan. And anything she's on is pretty much gold. But there's nothing extraordinary about this collab. If she was on it by herself it would've been just as good. There, I vote no for a collaboration win. 

HIS PERSPECTIVE: I'm really feeling most of Nicki's shit. This one goes hard as does her Chiraq joint. That being said I wouldn't be upset if this one wins. Don't get it twisted, I'm still pushing for Kendrick and These Walls


Best Rap Song

All Day

Kanye West Featuring Theophilus London, Allan Kingdom & Paul McCartney
Label: Def Jam Recordings;

HER PERSPECTIVE: Hmmm, this is a conundrum. Not sure how or why it made the best rap song list. 

HIS PERSPECTIVE: How long will I hate this fuck-ing song? All Day N!66@.

 

Alright

Kendrick Duckworth, Mark Anthony Spears & Pharrell Williams, songwriters (Kendrick Lamar)
Track from: To Pimp A Butterfly
Label: TDE/Aftermath/Interscope


HER PERSPECTIVE: And the 2016 Grammy for Best Rap Song goes to.....

HIS PERSPECTIVE: As far as I'm concerned this entire category could be filled with To Pimp A Butterfly. Institutionalized, For Sale?, Alright, These Walls, How Much A Dollar Cost and You Ain't Got To Lie could easily beat out the others on this list for me. 



Energy

Richard Dorfmeister, A. Graham, Markus Kienzl, M. O'Brien, M. Samuels & Phillip Thomas, songwriters (Drake)
Track from: If Youre Reading This Its Too Late
Label: Young Money/Cash Money

HER PERSPECTIVE: Drake had to make this list and I guess this had to be the song. It doesn't stand a chance. 

HIS PERSPECTIVE: Corny, but full of Energy. I just can't with Drake. No hate or disrespect. just not into sensitive rappers with a "they hate complex." In other news, light skinned brothers are back. 


Glory

Lonnie Lynn, Che Smith & John Stephens, songwriters (Common & John Legend)
Track from: Selma (Music From The Motion Picture)
Label: Universal/Def Jam; Publisher(s): Paramount Pictures/Pathe Productions Limited

HER PERSPECTIVE: Nice try!

HIS PERSPECTIVE: Bows head and prepares to be apologetic for the impernding blow that the man places to my dome-piece just for standing while being black and on a random corner. Fuck this song...


Trap Queen

Tony Fadd & Willie J. Maxwell, songwriters (Fetty Wap)
Track from: Fetty Wap
Label: 300 Entertainment/RGF Productions; Publisher(s): RGF Publishing, Zoovier, BMG Gold Songs, Tony Fadd Beats

HER PERSPECTIVE: This was a big single from a new artist that came through the door swinging and managed to carve his own niche. Best rap song tho? I can't foresee that win. 

HIS PERSPECTIVE: Cool if it works for you, but it doesn't move me enough to give it more than a node as I drive down the street to it. Can't give it the nod for a Grammy though. 



Best Rap Album

2014 Forest Hills Drive

J. Cole
Label: Roc Nation/Columbia Records

HER PERSPECTIVE: This may very well be the only album nominated that's a worth opponent to go up against TPAB. Sigh. It's Kendrick's year tho. Sorry J. yet another L you have to take. 


HIS PERSPECTIVE: I love this album and in any other year it would certainly get my nod. J. Cole just picked the wrong year to fuch with K.Lamar and TPAB. Apparently, A Tale of Two Cities & Note to Self put it in contention though. 


Compton

Dr. Dre
Label: Aftermath/Interscope

HER PERSPECTIVE: This only made the list because Dr. Dre had everything to do with it. Not because it was a prolific album. Because let's face it...it so wasn't. 

HIS PERSPECTIVE: To be honest I could have waited another 15 years and I'd still be cool on this one. The only song I really rock with is Medicine Man so I wouldn't have even put this up for nomination, let alone give it the award. I guess being a billionaire has an ability to influence common sense. Hated it. 


If You're Reading This Its Too Late

Drake
Label: Cash Money/Young Money

HER PERSPECTIVE: I fuchs with Drake. But this album sounds similar to Nothing Was the Same...tone, content and sound. Meh. My vote is nowehere to be found on this one.   


HIS PERSPECTIVE: His nasally ass voice has found its way into the hearts of many, just not mine. I swear this dude is whinning to get the pu$$y and I'm sure he gets the lion's share of it. But he's like a rapping R. Kelly - rapping songs about everyday shit. I guess it works? Shouldn't there be a limit on how frequently someone of mixed race uses the term Nigga or is it just me? Either way, I can't with the album. Yes, it has a good three or four songs on it, but nothing transcendent. I'll have to go in any other direction than this. 


To Pimp A Butterfly

Kendrick Lamar
Label: Aftermath/Interscope

HER PERSPECTIVE: TPAB is a well-thought-out, structured and cohesive body of work. It has a strong narrative and tone and leaves the listener with something more to think about it (besides gold chains and trap houses). You know your shit is the shit when POTUS reveals that his favorite song of the year was none other than a cut from TPAB. Obama's pick? "How Much a Dollar Cost?" It's quite OBVI that this should win the Grammy for Best Rap Album.  

HIS PERSPECTIVE: Tight from the beginning to end and with all of the Icons on this joint it's hard not to go overboard with praise. This is the best album I've heard in quite some time. Be it rap or any other genre. Obviously this gets my vote. 


The Pinkprint

Nicki Minaj
Label: Young Money/Cash Money

HER PERSPECTIVE: This is an ok album. Ok albums don't win Grammy's. 

HIS PERSPECTIVE: I'm over the Pink theme for all of her albums, but I fuchs with Nicki. The album is meh to me, but I guess someone likes enough of it to be on this list. I can't give it my kiss though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment