Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Being Mary Jane: THE CUTTY BUDDY

To say that this season of Being Mary Jane has been a roller coaster is only partially true. It has been a non-stop trip across the ZojiLa Pass. With not enough time, or interest to go over the entire 3rd season, we'd like to focus on one not so tiny aspect in episode 6 - the Cutty Buddy. This has been a hot & sore topic between the boy and I, so much so that we had to write about it two episodes later.



HIS PERSPECTIVE: In guy logic, a Cutty Buddy is that one woman that you can slide up in no matter what, when, were or what time; consensually of course. That is until the lines get blurred for one or both consenting parties. Allow me to take it back a few episodes to explain and give my point - After MJ's car accident the role of Cutty turns hero when Brandon swoops in to save the day as MJ is in a lonely and impotent place. Slightly disfigured and emotionally fractured, Brandon chooses to take the mercy hit and do what men do, act as a protector while rewarding themselves with the plunder of said magnanimous act. Shallow, I know, but this shit happens more often than you know. As the season continues, Brandon swoops in again to save the day once MJ reacts to the death of Lisa, MJ's semi-shady childhood friend. Coddling her as she goes through her shit, he is there for her in every sense of the term as she soaks it all in, luxuriating in his vulnerability. The scene ends as the hapless two sit poolside sharing a glass of Whiskey and a Cuban cigar and these words: Brandon: "It was a blessing, I could be here for you."  Mary Jane: "Thank you for changing your routine for me." In the very next episode MJ discovers that Brandon is flawed (has seizures) and his shit becomes way too much for her to deal with, especially in his current role as her Cutty Buddy (my how the tables have turned).


HER PERSPECTIVE: In girl logic, a Cutty Buddy is that one dude that you call (under the pretense of some other shit) when the urge and/or mood tickles your under carriage. This arrangement can last as long as both parties are on the same page every step of the way. Or it can go south real fast once a dose of reality seeps in through the cracks and reveals the true nature of someone's intentions, character and feelings. Rewind back two weeks - I got a text from the boy emphatically stating that I needed to stop bullshitting and watch the "Don't Call It a Comeback" episode because "that was me all day." And so I did. What I wasn't expecting was for him to be spot-on with his assessment. I chuckled for a long minute as I watched the scenes he was referring to: MJ tells Kara about her Cutty Buddy's seizure and Kara asks MJ if she is going to dump her boo. MJ responds in typical MJ fashion, "he is not my boo, he is just someone I do." Then follows up with, "I have too many issues to deal with between my face and my family, it's just too much." And then the icing on the cake, "seizures aren't sexy." And to that I say, you God Damn right seizures ain't sexy!! WTF...that was more than a dose of reality...that was a potential medical emergency. A recurring one at that!


HIS PERSPECTIVE: Here's the deal, when I meet someone that I find interesting, I don't look to place them in a box simply to suit my needs. Sometimes they fall into that place on their own, but it's never really discussed. There are other times when a sense of duty, changes in feelings or other variables occur and modification or at least clarity are what's called for. By the way, the fact that the girl admits that the cutty buddy is called under some other pretense validates my assertion that those waters are at best murky at their clearest juncture. I'll argue that the roles changed once Brandon found an opportunity to be needed by MJ, from that point on he became part tool and caretaker. He was there to serve her needs (as a dildo) and there to protect her from her harsh world, that seemed to be caving in. Then came the moment when Brandon showed his humanity and out came the fucking track shoes. The moment brother-man had his seizure, MJ seemed to panic. "It's too much," she said. And I'm thinking, bitch it wasn't too much when dude picked your ass up and helped you get over your shit. It wasn't too much when he changed his routine for you. I literally wanted to stop watching that bullshit, but I continued on and became more heated as I watched. What I am struck by is what wasn't said by both parties. In relationships there are plenty of players. There are the two of you and whomever else you tell your shit to. The problem is we normally talk to everyone else about our perceived issues rather than the one person that should matter the most. That's when shit becomes too much, because the both of you have shared too little. I'll argue that if both knew that Brandon was designated as a Cutty Buddy, then he would have known not to get over involved in the first place. Once they both allowed the space and opportunity for him to swoop in and save the day, lines were blurred and the potential for feelings to be hurt entered the picture.


HER PERSPECTIVE: Au contraire mon ami, Brandon has always known his designated position. I think it was season 1 or 2 that he brought up the possibility of there being something more between them and was quickly shut down. Brandon (bless his heart) was there for MJ in her time of need. His choice. And a good one at that. But it doesn't mean that she now has to be there for him (continuously cuz he will have more seizures) in that same way. MJ made a notable point when she told her girl Nichelle, "I like him but I'm not invested in him. I can't deal with his life and his issues, it's just too much. It's like I know too much about him. The mystery's gone." I have to agree, it is too much. Watching him go through that was a scary and sobering moment, especially when their arrangement is specific to sex (never mind that ole' boy took care of MJ in her time of need, which was probably strategic to earn extra sex points). Does it make MJ look selfish, self-centered and uncompassionate? Absolutely! Let's not get it twisted tho, MJ is compassionate...for those that she is invested in. lol. But that's the beauty of her character; it's flawed as fuck. MJ is far from perfect and I don't think she should be crucified for standing in her truth..as harsh as it was to witness.


HIS PERSPECTIVE: Mon ami huh? She's always speaking in tongues... Leave it to the girl to allow the facts of the situation to get in the way of my good story. I'm a guy and as such have a limited attention span, what the fuck do I remember from a season or two ago? I'd figure the same can be said for blessed heart Brandon, especially once the lines were blurred. As far as the mystery being gone, mystery is overrated and the exact opposite of a steady base or foundation. And standing in her truth is fine up until the point that she does so by digging her Louboutin's in his back as she lifts herself back up for air. I'd rather show and be shown softness in that moment and the suitable amount of fucking decorum for the situation(s) at hand. Who the fuck rolls out when a person has a seizure, right after he's coddled your selfish ass back to a tolerable place? Miss me with that Bullshit.

HER PERSPECTIVE: I will write this, the boy is overly emotional - I am wildly curious to see how their relationship plays out. I know fans are rooting for them to be a real thing, but I'm on the fence about it. I don't know how compatible they are outside of the bedroom and pool. Unless the show builds up his character beyond a simple jock with a mean ass back stroke, Brandon aka Cutty Buddy will be phased out real soon.

HIS PERSPECTIVE: And I will write this, the girl is cold as ice - I have the sneaky suspicion that MJ and Brandon will see the error in their ways and react accordingly. While the hopeful romantic in me kinda wants them to walk off into the sunset hand and hand, I'd be happy to settle for clarity. I think they deserve at least that much from each other. It's a shame that Brandon's character has been put in the box of the jock with a mean pipe game. Should we all be so lucky or more careful about what we wish for? Hopefully Cutty stays in the story and helps Mary Jane Paul move on to the next chapter with or without him.

Interested in reading our perspective on Episode 8? Click on the link below

No comments:

Post a Comment