Friday, December 11, 2015

Being Mary Jane: Purging & Cleansing

Quick Episode Synopsis: Family turmoil boils over with the fallout over Patrick's relapse and Big Poppa's reaction to it. The campus crew joins MJ's focus group for the revamped TalkBack as Cece joins in with timely advice. Kara offers MJ advice that both will find useful and Cece shows that everything comes with a cost.


HER PERSPECTIVE: The Purging and Cleansing episode was a bag of mixed nuts. The good kind. I loved the focus on shedding old skin and reclaiming a lost voice, parenting on various levels, decision making, white privilege, women breadwinners...all topics that we can certainly relate to and apply to our own lives. I appreciate that MJ was humble enough to bring back the "scarfed one." Her voice was too strong and too real to be boxed into that one classroom scene. I'm glad MJ recognized that and didn't stay in her feelings. I was so incredibly disappointed by the unveiling of Cece's mask. The look on MJ's face at the end of that scene was perfection. Just as Cece was warming MJ (and us) over, the wolf in sheep's clothing reared it's furry head. It's hard trusting new mofos. Everyone has a damn agenda when they know they can get some shit out of you. I hope this ends well. Although I have a feeling it won't. Loretta Devine is playing the hell out of that role!!

HIS PERSPECTIVE: When the "scarfed one" showed up at the office I was surprised. Not pleasantly so, but surprised nonetheless. I thought that the nuggets she left behind last week would be good enough for us to get the point, but there she was holding her own yet again. I was pleased when Cece showed up to "take over" and do her thing, but my heart sank when the hustler in her reared its ugly head by the end of the episode. I kind of feel as if she and Cece are the good and bad whispers in the ear of MJ. Both sound great, but one of them will add on to MJ's beautiful flaws. I guess sometimes the devil wears nipple-high khaki's, Tommy Bahama shirts and a fedora as he seduces you with a line of fake credit. It pains me deeply to think that I could be wrong on my initial assessment of Cece.



HIS PERSPECTIVE: Addiction is all encompassing and has so many tentacles to it. Each person effected has their own demons to deal with as a result. Did I do enough to help out? Did I aid or enable the addict? Do I ever trust this person again? Are just a few questions that come to mind. As MJ's father apologized to his dying wife, it all came clear to me. This is a father that feels like he's failed his children, (possibly by over coddling), failed his wife by holding on to his children's problems for far too long and at their detriment and failed himself by not measuring up to his own lofty standards. The funny thing is, plenty of people would kill to have a father that is so loving. It's a shame that he doesn't see it yet. Hopefully he'll realize his true worth soon.

HER PERSPECTIVE: Poor Patrick. He just can't get right. I want him to win because he's a genuinely good dude and dedicated father. But I also get that addiction is a lifelong process that one constantly has to battle. Hopefully the new potential love interest in his life will be a positive influence. It was heartbreaking to see how disappointed Paul Sr. was when he found out that Patrick was on "drugs" again. That bedroom scene between Paul Sr. and Helen tore through my heart. Watching him break down with tears in his eyes was gut wrenching. At some point I would like to see some recognition from the adult children (and grandchildren) for the sacrifices their parents made on their behalf.



HIS PERSPECTIVE: "You need to see who else is capable of showing up." More powerful words have never hit so hard. There are times when loved ones take it upon themselves to smother and leave no room for other's to express their love. Let alone on their own terms. It's impossible for others to prove their worth if you are constantly in the way, earning all of the browny points. In this case, family members tend to fall back and take a lesser role and feel isolated and under appreciated. I was just telling the girl that I wanted to see Kara's character developed a bit more and boy was this the episode. When Kara bounced those words off of Mary Jane, I'm sure that the last thing that she expected was for MJ to throw them right back at her. This scene could be better described as Dr. heal thyself. I was happy that Kara took the bull by the horns and confronted John, shocked that she told him that she knew how she got where she was and floored that he threw all of that shit right back in her face. Can you really blame someone that shows you who they are from day one and never changes? Not really, but just because you can't blame them doesn't mean you have to put up with their shit. Of course I get it, shit I even respect it, but I'm pleased as hell that Kara is deciding to finally make John show the fuck up. Maybe MJ will do the same for her family and allow for some other heroes to make a cameo. Seems like baby brother is ready to do his part. After all, it will free her up to work on her own shit.

HER PERSPECTIVE: I loved the scene between Kara and MJ. Kara dropped some serious knowledge not only on MJ...hell..but on all of us watching! What I didn't love was how Kara came at her ex, John. Especially cuz she admitted that she married his ass because he was white and that was the right thing to do, in her eyes. Talk about a warped perception. "Show the fuck up," the boy writes. John has always shown up...as he is...take it or leave it. Her ex has been playing both dad and mom while Kara was out chasing her dreams and if it wasn't for him, Kara wouldn't be the super woman that she is. And so I'm glad John threw that shit right back in Kara's face. Now, whether that interaction will evoke some sort of change in John's flow remains to be seen. Furthermore, would Kara be as willing to take a back seat to John's success?


*Side Note: Seems as if I may have been right from the look ahead to next week. White Boy's Can't Jump seems to be getting his walking papers sooner than later. I like him, but is she really going to roll off into the sunset with a dude that she met in a "damn near" sex club?


Interested in reading our perspectives on previous BMJ episodes? 
Click on the following links - Episode 6 and Episode 8 

No comments:

Post a Comment