Monday, February 8, 2016

Making A Murderer: The Summary


HIS PERSPECTIVE: As the music is cued to start episode 1, there's an obvious attempt to set a particular tone. Both somber and grounding, it takes you on a journey through a dark field of emotions. It's as if I know there's a story that will anger, shock, depress, sober and enlighten me that just happens to lay in wait if I dare commit to the long haul. Obviously this was as difficult as it was addictive to watch for those and more reasons. I'm not going to bother re-hashing the details; I think we were fairly thorough as we went along. Episode by episode I found myself changing sides again and again due to the things that were presented and/or discovered. I must admit that I felt very guilty for not having an avenue to consider one of the four main victims in the series, that being Teresa Halbach. I felt like I wanted to know more about her so that her life would be more of a focal point, rather than her death being the reason that we all know about her. Rest in peace Teresa Halbach.


HER PERSPECTIVE: I've always wondered what it felt like to be a fish unwillingly plucked out of water and left to flutter angrily outside of its natural habitat. Watching Making a Murderer is the closest I will come to that feeling. In other words, I flip-flopped so damn much throughout the series that I found it hard to breath at times. It was like riding a cruel and never-ending roller coaster of emotions; so much so that I was ecstatic to reach the tenth and final episode albeit bittersweet. I do agree with the guilt that the boy feels about Teresa Halbach because I, too, share that sentiment. It is unfortunate that her death played second fiddle to Steven Avery, the man accused of her murder. But when it seems like the ten-part documentary written and directed by Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos was geared towards proclaiming Steven Avery's innocence...what else should one expect?


HIS PERSPECTIVE: At the end of the day, this film is as skillfully crafted as it might be considered polarizing. It's clearly done from a single perspective, that being that Steven is innocent and was framed. Without seeing the other side it's hard for me to swallow that. I just can't fathom that so many differing entities came together to bring down one man. Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? While, I have to say that it's unlikely I can't go as far as to say that assumption is crazy. Due to this side of the story, I've seen a few folks depicted as if the Avery's need to be eliminated and that's disturbing to me. At the end of the day I have to respect that I don't know the members of the Manitowoc community other than what I saw on film and it would be unfair for me to judge them based on splices of their lives at a particularly stressful and polarizing time. As far as this being a documentary is concerned, I'm just not sure that it fits my understanding of what a documentary is. Is there an agenda here? If so, I'd have say that it may be biased towards Steven Avery. I also have to admit that after having served 18 years for a crime that he didn't commit, and all of the harsh blows that life has dealt him thus far, perhaps he deserves the bias.


HER PERSPECTIVE: I am still dubious as to what to believe. It's obvious (to me) that he didn't do it due to the overwhelming gross misconduct of the Manitowoc County police department. It's also obvious (to me) that he did commit this crime due to the inculpatory evidence that shows Steven Avery was involved in Teresa Halbach's murder. I feel like a child in the middle of a nasty divorce and I don't know who to part with for fear of making the wrong choice. If this was the purpose of creating the documentary, then mission accomplished. We will always be left wondering. My heart goes out to Teresa Halbach and what she endured at the hand of her killer and to her family for their loss. My heart also goes out to Steven Avery's parents for believing in their son and making it their life's mission to prove his innocence.

No comments:

Post a Comment