Monday, December 21, 2015

Sample This Vol. II


This post is all about the origins and in some cases, the stories behind some of the most popular hip hop songs of the last few decades. You already know how this works - the original is first and the songs that used samples are underneath. To listen to the before and after (music), click on the links below the photos.

St. Elmo's Fire - Michael Franks
Fabolouso - We Get High
If you don't know who Michael Franks is then allow me to introduce you to this Soul Brother from another Mother. To dub him any less than classic and his music anything other than a panty dropper, would be your take not mine! St. Elmo's Fire is smooth and sultry and leads to many things. That just so happens to bring us to Fab's We Get Highif this version doesn't make you want to blaze the fuck up, nothing will. This is chill mode on a Saturday night in the crib. The lyrics are on some ole snake a brother shit, but the beat is tight and the melody is on one.

Ronnie Laws - Tidal Wave
Black Moon - Who Got The Props
Tidal Wave by Ronnie Laws is an instant classic and has been sampled by a ton of folks. Smooth and mellow house cleaning music, that will have your ass dancing in place as you make the rounds. Who Got The Props has been my shit from the first time I heard this joint. The lyrics are tight, pace is knocking and the beat is a st8 killa. 



HIS PERSPECTIVE: Blazing ain't my thing, but chillin' with folks that do is fine by me, they tend to listen to great music. This whole post should come with some great weed recommendations, maybe our readers can let us know. Whatever it is that you choose to do, think mellow and let the days troubles go.


HER PERSPECTIVE: After listening to St. Elmo's Fire, I feel like I just spent the last hour blazing or in my case, eating a "cookie." It's a wonderfully lazy and entrancing song. Throw in Fab's version, and all of a sudden I'm feeling a little more gangsta with my shit. Nice change of pace but it still maintains the same laid back "high" vibe. Tidal Wave by Ronnie Laws is bonkers - my type of jazz when I'm on one. Love the horns and overall vibe. Kudos to Black Moon for finding this gem and flippin' it into Who Got the Props!


Stay tuned for Sample This Vol. III


No comments:

Post a Comment