Monday, December 14, 2015

Sample This Vol. I

Iconic Jazz 
The girl and I are both die hard music lovers so we banged our heads together and came up with this little musical treat (and others to follow) for our fellow music lovers and faithful readers. This post is all about the origins and in some cases, the stories behind some of the most popular hip hop songs of the last few decades. That being stated, below are the original songs that were sampled to create the shit that we still rock to, till this day. The original is first and the songs that used samples are underneath.

Today - Tom Scott
(T.R.O.Y.) Pete Rock & CL Smooth
The song Today by Tom Scott is one of the deepest love songs ever written. Talk about selflessness over a sultry voice, sexy sax and a flowing melody. This shit brings me to tears every time I cue it up. Now let's bring in Pete Rock & CL Smooth's T.R.O.Y. - what may be a lost fact is that this song was written after the death of their close friend Trouble T. Roy (Heavy D and the Boys). Do I have to ask if they captured the essence and emotion of the original in this song? I think not, fuck with it and see who comes for you. Ask Lupe about the time he sampled that shit w/o the proper respect being paid. You gon' learn today...

Wind Parade - Donald Byrd
Buck Em Down - Black Moon
There is some interesting shit going on here. When I listen to Donald Byrd's Wind Parade, I'm whisked away to a cafe somewhere in Harlem on a Saturday morning. When the jazz-loungy voice comes in it seals the deal, I'm eating Shrimp and Grits as I tap my toes and collaborate on my next project with the girl. Cue Buck Em Down by Black Moon and my cafe quickly turns into a dark alley in Brooklyn somewhere. I ain't scared though,  I'll walk that shit at the same pace as I will Wall Street. From the muffled music to the dark lyrics the shit works and stands the test of time. Oh and about this heart, this shit pumps blood not kool-aid so don't get it twisted...

Iconic Hip Hop 
HIS PERSPECTIVE: Music is the soundtrack of life for me. Every critical moment in my life has a song associated with it. First break up- Baby Be Mine/Miki Howard, First time having sex- Creep/ Luther Vandross, First time getting lost in a fucking song- Erykah Badu/Green Eyes . I always laugh when I hear old heads down the music of today as they harken back to their golden years, clearly forgetting that some of that shit was whack as hell too. I'll give any and everything a listen, shit I'm surprised by some of what I like at this point. The girl even has me with an appreciation for Trap Music. Go figure that shit.


HER PERSPECTIVE: "Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence,"- one of my favorite music quotes. Much like the boy, there are moments in my life that songs and/or albums have played a critical role in shaping some of my life experiences. Two memories immediately pop into mind. First - breaking up with my high school boyfriend and coping only because the My Life album by Mary J. Blige existed. Till this day, whenever I hear that album or a song from the album, I am immediately transported back to that wonderful era. Second - taking a bus to NY and reading Matters of the Heart by Danielle Steel while listening to Philharmonics by Agnes Obel. I swear it felt like the album, unbeknownst to anyone, was made for this book. It truly made that experience one of the fondest memories I possess.

Stay tuned for Sample This Vol. II

No comments:

Post a Comment